The flag deserves our respect and honor. But God deserves our total devotion.
- Allegiance means commitment, devotion and obedience to something or someone. We show our allegiance to our country by respecting the flag and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Christian parents should help their kids pledge their allegiance to God by modeling the right habits like reading the Bible and praying. God should be a priority in the home, not just a Sunday morning ritual. Romans 6:17
- As Christians, we should also stand in the public squares, in our schools, and places of employment and also pledge our allegiance to the Holy God of the universe. Philippians 2:14-15
- Initial reactions to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- In your own words, why is it important to say the Pledge of Allegiance as a country?
- Why are rituals important? Describe other facets of life where rituals are important?
- Reflect on the definition of allegiance. How should those words relate to our relationship with God?
- Read Romans 6:17. What is the pattern of teaching to which we should be devoted?
- What will you do moving forward to make family devotionals a part of your family routine?
- Read Philippians 2:14-15. What are some choices you need to make in your family to reflect God’s standards in a fallen world?
- What are some topics that you know would be good to address with your kids?
- Is there a step you need to take based on today’s topic?