The statistics are shocking when it comes to how many kids leave the faith after high school. It’s because we’re missing one important thing.
- Most Christian kids grow up and leave the faith because we raise them to be consumers and they never take ownership of their own faith.
- The Bible teaches that we grow by discipling – and this is true for our kids, too. Ephesians 4:12
- The secret to raising kids who pursue God is to make disciple-making a thing at home. Use topics to engage your kids and model for them how they can do the same thing with others. Ephesians 4:14
- Initial reactions to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What are some of the memorable conversations you had with your parents when you were young? What are some of the conversations you wish you would have had? Explain.
- Why do you think so many kids leave the faith once they get to college? How does the college environment create confusion?
- Make a list of some of the biblical values you want to transfer to your kids. Why are these values important to you and how are you working to instill those in your kids?
- Read Ephesians 4:12. What is God’s work we are all called to do? Why is it important for your kids to see that as their job, too?
- Describe the habit of mentoring using the tools at pursueGOD.org. How can you establish this as a weekly habit at home?
- Read Ephesians 4:14. When your kids take ownership of their faith, how will that help them to distinguish between truth and lies later?
- Is there a step you need to take based on today’s topic?