Watch the video above and talk about it with your family. Learn more
Self-control is about being in control of your thoughts, emotions, and actions.
- God wants us to have self-control, but it’s not always easy.
- Joseph, in the Old Testament, was treated badly by his own family. When he had a chance to get back at them, he had self-control because God was with him.
- The next time you’re in a situation where you might lose self-control, remember that God is with you.
Ephesians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
See Also: Self-Control
Talk About It
- What’s your favorite part of the video? What’s one thing you learned from it?
- Parents: When are you most tempted to lose self-control?
- Kids: Would you need to use self-control in these situations?
- Someone has just taken your favorite toy from you.
- Someone has just called you a mean name that hurt your feelings – now they are laughing at you.
- You just received some discipline from mom or dad, and now your brother or sister is smiling.
- Kids: The next time you’re in a tough situation, what are some things you can do to make keeping your self-control easier? Make a list.
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?