The Bible teaches that when we pursue God, we’ll really have it “good”. But what does that mean for a kid? It’s more than just candy and video games all day long. Having it “good” as a kid means we are joyful and free.
We have it “good” when we have joy.
Did you know that Jesus was a fun guy? He liked to laugh and joke around. Wanna guess where he performed his first miracle? At a party! (See John 2:1-12.) Jesus did that to show his disciples that he was different from other religious leaders. He wants to bring joy to our lives – that means true happiness. Here’s what joy looks like for a kid:
- Knowing that everything good comes from God
- Knowing Jesus loves you, even when you’re having a bad day
- Knowing that we’ll be in heaven someday
We have it “good” when we have freedom.
Jesus wants us to be really free, and that’s why he gives us boundaries. Imagine that you lived on a busy street, but you wanted to play soccer with your friends. Wouldn’t you feel more free to play if there was a fence around your yard? That way the ball wouldn’t roll into the street, and you would be free to kick as hard as you wanted! That’s how the Bible works. It’s like a big fence, protecting us so we don’t wander into danger. That’s why we can have true freedom. If we stay in the boundaries God has provided, then we don’t need to fear because God will protect us.
We have it “good” when we have Jesus.
The Bible says that the good stuff in this life is only good for a little while – even candy and video games! But a relationship with Jesus lasts forever, so it is better than good. It’s the best! Everything good starts with Jesus. Have you asked him into your heart?
- Set Up: Watch the video together or invite someone to set up the conversation.
- Describe your “best day ever”. Where would you be, what would you do, who would you be with?
- Describe what joy can look like in your life. Why does God care if we have joy?
- What does a person act like without joy? Why doesn’t God want us to be that way?
- What does freedom mean? Why is freedom important?
- Why is knowing Jesus so important? How does He help us?
- Read Hebrews 12:2-3. Jesus endured much suffering for us on the cross. Why do you think He found joy in that suffering? What can His attitude teach us?
- Takeaway: Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
The Bible teaches that when we pursue God, we’ll really have it “good”. But what does that mean for a kid? It’s more than just candy and video games all day long.
Let’s look at 6 cool stories from the most famous person in the world!