- A habit is something you do over and over.
- Habits have a way of controlling us.
- Good habits are things that make your parents and God happy.
- Bad habits are things that make your parents and God sad. Romans 7:15
Romans 7:15 I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.
- Before a habit ever becomes what you do, it starts with what you think. And when your thinkin’ is stinkin’, your habits smell bad, too!
- The Bible says that if you’re a Christian, you have God’s Spirit living in you. Do you know what he does in you? He gives you a whole new way to think and act!
- The Bible says you have to “put on your new nature”, like putting on a jacket or shoes. It’s something you have to actually do, every day. Ephesians 4:23-24
Ephesians 4:23-24 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.
Think about when you first learned how to walk. Did you just jump up on your feet and start running around like a teenager? No way! You stood up and took one little step. And then you fell back down. Just ask your mom. Nobody starts with teenager steps. Everybody starts with baby steps.
- The Holy Spirit gives us power for good habits.
- Good habits look like the fruit of the Spirit.
- It takes baby steps to walk by the Spirit.
From the Bible:
Galatians 5:16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
Galatians 5:25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.